Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Abstract Correspondence, genealogy, autobiographical material, speeches, newspaper clippings, and photographs documenting the lives of Charles F. and Rhoda M. (Johnson) Coffin, 1831-1917. Charles and Rhoda were Orthodox Quaker ministers with international reputations in prison reform. Charles was a banker in Richmond, Indiana, and the clerk of Indiana Yearly Meeting of Orthodox Friends from 1857 to 1884.
Dates: 1831-1919; Other: Date acquired: 00/00/1917
Scope and Contents The Doan Family Papers consist of correspondence, clippings, and reminiscent material of the family of Abel and Phebe (Lindley) Doan of Westfield, Indiana. It is rich in material relating to Earlham College and to Quaker life and activities in the first half of the twentieth century.
Dates: 1900-1960; Other: Date acquired: 01/01/1986
Scope and Contents The Elkanah Beard Papers consist of two diaries kept by Elkanah Beard, a prominent Gurneyite Quaker minister of Winchester, Indiana, from 1868 to 1875 and 1877 to 1878. They reflect his participation in the missionary and revival movement that swept Gurneyite meetings in the Midwest in the 1870s.
Dates: 1868-1878; Other: Date acquired: 01/01/1980
Scope and Contents The Harlow Lindley Collection, although relatively small, is rich in material related to Quaker history and the history of Wayne County, Indiana, especially its educational history.The collection consists of historical materials collected by Lindley and of Lindley’s correspondence with such prominent nineteenth- and twentieth-century Friends as Charles F. Coffin, Joel Bean, Allen Jay, Timothy Nicholson, and Barnabas C. Hobbs. The materials in the collection reflect Lindley’s interest in United...
Scope and Contents The Jessup-Carson-Littler Family papers consist of correspondence, legal papers, notebooks, autograph books, ledgers, and genealogical material on five generations of Quakers in Howard and Marion counties, Indiana. The collection reflects Quaker farm and religious life in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
Dates: 1831-1984; Other: Date acquired: 01/01/1997
Scope and Contents This collection consists of correspondence, account books, and business papers of Josiah Parker, a leading Quaker, farmer, and miller of the Richsquare community of Northampton County, North Carolina. It is rich in materials on Quaker life in North Carolina, the Quaker migration from North Carolina to Ohio and Indiana, the antislavery activities of North Carolina Friends, and the work of Friends in helping free people of color move from North Carolina and Virginia to Indiana. The Josiah Parker...
Dates: 1787-1836; Other: Date acquired: 12/01/1991
Scope and Contents This collection consists of records of records of the United Society of Friends Women and its predecessor bodies, the Woman’s Foreign Missionary Union of Friends in America and the Woman’s Missionary Union of Friends in America. They are a rich source for the missionary activities of American Quakers since the 1880s and the establishment of Quakerism in Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, and Central America. These records were housed for many years in the vault of First Friends Meetinghouse in...
Dates: Other: Add Date
Scope and Contents This collection, assembled by Mary Wright Dennis of Dublin, IN consists of genealogical materials, photographs, correspondence, account books, and other documents of descendants of William Dennis (1767-1847), a Quaker of Randolph County, NC and Wayne County, IN, especially his grandson Wilson Dennis (1814-1904) of Wayne County, IN.
Scope and Contents The collection contains writings by Wilmer Cooper, papers of various Quaker organizations of which Cooper was active, Earlham School of Religion materials, personal correspondence, and some miscellaneous material.
Dates: 1958-2009; Other: Date acquired: 01/01/1998
- Quakers -- Indiana 7
- Correspondence 5
- Quakers -- Indiana -- History 5
- Quakers 4
- Society of Friends 4
- Society of Friends -- History 3
- Diaries 2
- Indiana Yearly Meeting (Society of Friends : 1821-1828) 2
- Indiana Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox : 1828- ) 2
- Quakers -- Genealogy 2
- Society of Friends -- Education 2
- Wayne County (Ind.) 2
- Whitewater Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends : Richmond, Ind.) 2
- Agriculture 1
- Antislavery Movements 1
- Bank Failures 1
- Capital Punishment 1
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.) 1
- Drafts of Writings 1
- Five Years Meeting (Society of Friends : U.S.) 1
- Freedmen 1
- Friends United Meeting (U.S.) 1
- Friends World Committee for Consultation 1
- Indiana Yearly Meeting of Friends (Hicksite : 1828-1975) 1
- Migration, internal 1
- Missionaries 1
- Photographs 1
- Prison Reformers 1
- Quaker Women 1
- Quaker Women Missionaries 1
- Quaker businesspeople 1
- Quakers -- Education 1
- Quakers -- North Carolina 1
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania 1
- Richmond Home for the Friendless 1
- Society of Friends -- Doctrines 1
- Society of Friends -- Missions 1
- Travel 1
- United States -- History 1
- Western Yearly Meeting of Friends (1877- : Plainfield, Ind.) 1
- Western Yearly Meeting of Friends (1877- : Plainfield, Ind.). Committee on Indian Affairs 1 ∧ less
- Earlham College 4
- Coffin, Charles F. (Charles Fisher), 1823-1916 2
- Lindley, Harlow, b. 1874 2
- Bean, Joel, 1825-1914 1
- Coffin Family 1
- Coffin, Rhoda M. (Rhoda Moorman), 1826-1909 1
- Cooper, Wilmer A., 1920-2008 (Dean of ESR) 1
- Dennis, William, 1767-1847 1
- Dennis, Wilson, 1814-1904 1
- Doan, John Lindley 1
- Earlham School of Religion (ESR) 1
- Jay, Allen, 1831-1910 1
- Jones, Rufus Matthew, 1863-1948 1
- Nicholson, Timothy, 1828-1924 1
- Russell, Elbert, 1871-1951 1 ∧ less