Warder Clyde Allee Papers
Scope and Contents
This collection focuses on Allee's activities as a Quaker and his connections with Earlham College, from which received an honorary doctorate in 1940. This collection consists of photocopies made in 1982.
- Other: Date acquired: 01/01/1956
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open without restriction.
Conditions Governing Use
Some materials may be protected by copyright. Permission to reproduce and to publish for commercial purposes must be requested from the Archivist.
Biographical or Historical Information
Warder Clyde Allee was born in Parke County, Indiana, June 5, 1885, the son of John Wesley and Mary Emily (Newlin) Allee. He attended the Bloomingdale Friends Academy in Parke County, and graduated from Earlham College in 1908. He received his Ph.D. in zoology from the University of Chicago in 1912. After teaching at the universities of Illinois and Oklahoma as well as Lake Forest and Williams Colleges, in 1921 he became professor of zoology at the University of Chicago, where he remained until retirement in 1950. He then became head of the Department of Biology at the University of Florida. He died in Gainesville, Florida, March 18, 1955. A birthright Friend, Allee served for many years on the corporation of the American Friends Service Committee, and was active in Chicago Quaker affairs during his residence there. From 1926 until 1939 he was a member of the Earlham board of trustees.
Note written by
Note written by
Language of Materials
Transferred from Earlham to University of Chicago in 1973 and 1992. This collection is photocopy only.
Method of Acquisition
Allee's papers were given to Earlham in 1956. In 1973 most were transferred to the University of Chicago Archives. The rest followed in 1992. This collection consists of photocopies made in 1982.
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- Description rules
- Other Unmapped
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Friends Collection and Earlham College Archives Repository